- A 2014 report(1) commissioned by consultancy firm McKinsey and Company found that Obesity costs the UK economy nearly £47 billion a year; £6 billion of which is spent on the medical costs.
- Despite government recommendations of a maximum consumption of 11% of saturated fats for total energy consumption, the average saturated fat intake for adults aged 19 to 64 years is 12.6% .
- A recent study(2) published in the BMJ, supports the steady stream of challenges to the widely held belief that saturated fat intake is bad for your cardiovascular health.
With so much conflicting information being shared it is hard to know what we should be consuming and what we should be avoiding.
SCI is hosting a two day conference between Monday 16 and Tuesday 17 November 2015, Lipids and Health: Risk, Reward and Revelation. The conference will explore the scientific basis behind the many beliefs, myths and paradigms that have come about in the last half century relating to lipid consumption and their effect on health.
Some of the key highlights of the event will be:
- a review of current science in relation to the health of the consumptions of saturated fats, trans fats and polyunsaturated fatty acids;
- the relative risks of contaminants frequently found in commercial fats and oils, which will be assessed in relation to their nutritional contribution;
- the beneficial aspects of Omega 3 fatty acid consumption with particular reference to cognitive development in children;
- the need for alternative sources of Omega 3 fatty acids due to issues such as fish stock decline;
- the incorporation of healthy lipids in new food products in Britain;
- a look at the relative contribution of dietary fats and refined sugars to the European obesity crisis.
The event has attracted international speakers across the corporate, regulatory and health sectors.
Dates for your diary: Monday 16 - Tuesday 17 November 2015
Venue: SCI, 15 Belgrave Square, London SW1X 8PS
Please contact email@example.com to book your place on the event. More information about each lecture in the series is available at www.soci.org/events.
1. National Diet and Nutrition Survey (NDNS) data released 14 May 2014 by Public Health England (PHE)
2. De Souza, R. J., Mente, A., Maroleanu, A., Cozma, A. I., Ha, V., Kishibe, T., Anand, S. S. (2015). Intake of saturated and trans unsaturated fatty acids and risk of all cause mortality, cardiovascular disease, and type 2 diabetes: systematic review and meta-analysis of observational studies. BMJ, h3978. http://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.h3978
NOTES TO EDITORS
SCI is a multi-science and multidisciplinary forum connecting scientists and business people. SCI promotes innovation and education via forums and networks which advance the commercial application of chemistry related sciences into business for public benefit.
SCI is a unique international forum which anyone can join to share and exchange information, ideas, innovations and research. Members have access to a growing network of member specialists from sectors as diverse as food and bio-renewables, water, environment, energy, materials and manufacturing and health and well-being.
The Society, in partnership with Wiley, publishes a portfolio of high quality scientific journals and books that attract contributions from scientists worldwide.
SCI Marketing Team
+44 (0)207 598 1562
+44 (0)207 598 1587
This press release was distributed by ResponseSource Press Release Wire on behalf of SCI in the following categories: Health, Food & Drink, for more information visit https://pressreleasewire.responsesource.com/about.