Back pain affects almost everyone at some time in their life¹, yet countless people are still being given the wrong treatment².
And The Mentholatum Company, the company behind iconic brands such as Deep Heat and Deep Freeze, is taking action to help back pain sufferers manage their pain and help prevent future problems.
“Mind Your Back is a campaign which gives back pain sufferers a one-stop shop for clear, key advice to help them manage their back pain in five simple S.T.E.P.S.” says Jillian Watt, director of marketing and new product development at Mentholatum, who is also a qualified Pilates teacher.
“Most cases of low back pain can be treated at home and the first advice people should be given is to stay active³, but there is still a big gap between evidence and what happens in practice².
“Mind Your Back is a simple strategy and its five S.T.E.P.S. aim to help people manage back pain and avoid future problems without special equipment or expensive exercise gear.”
The S.T.E.P.S. are:
• Stretch – five easy to follow stretches to help ease tight back muscles and keep you mobile.
• Therapy – when life gets in the way and you can’t fit in all the S.T.E.P.S. use hot or cold therapy to ease those stiff, tense, tired out muscles
• Exercise – go for a walk, a swim or a cycle ride, just start slowly and build up gradually
• Posture – could you draw a straight line between your ear, shoulder and hip when sitting down or ear, shoulder, hip, knee and ankle when standing? No? Then it’s time to pay attention to posture
• Strengthen – five more exercises, this time to strengthen your core muscles and prevent back pain. A strong core means a stronger back.
“The stretches can be done anywhere – at home, in the office, even in the park at lunchtime, wherever it suits you. Just listen to your body and take it slowly at the start, never over-extending or pushing yourself too hard and stop at once if you feel any pain. Back care’s a step-by-step marathon, not a sprint!” says Jillian Watt, who is also a qualified Pilates instructor.
“Keep an ear open for the Mind Your Back adverts on Smooth Radio.”
Visit Mind Your Back for more information and videos featuring physiotherapist and yoga instructor Celest Pereira showing the five S.T.E.P.S. Before starting, check that there is no medical reason why the exercises may not be suitable for you. They are not suitable for people who have a serious back injury or an underlying health condition.
• It is estimated that low back pain is responsible for 37% of all chronic pain in men and 44% in women and the total cost of low back pain to the UK economy is reckoned to be over GBP12 billion per year³.
• Low back pain is the number one cause of disability globally⁴
• Lifestyle factors such as smoking, obesity and low levels of physical activity are associated with low back pain4
THE MENTHOLATUM COMPANY
The Mentholatum Company is the UK’s number one seller of topical analgesics, accounting for more than three of every ten topical analgesic products sold in the UK**. It is the company behind some of the nation’s best-known and most trusted brands such as Deep Heat and Deep Freeze and the ibuprofen and levomenthol gel Deep Relief.
See the full ranges at:
**Source: IRI data, units sold 52 w/e 24 Feb 18
NOTE TO EDITORS: We have a limited number of ‘Mind Your Back packs’ containing Deep Heat Muscle Massage Roll-on Lotion, Deep Freeze Pain Relief Glide-on Gel, Deep Heat Pain Relief Back Patches, Deep Freeze Pain Relief Cold Patches and a copy of the Mind Your Back videos available if you would like to run a competition in your publication. For more information, if you have any queries or would like to request images or sample products, please contact:
Lesley Keen at
Tony & Lesley Keen PR
Tel: 01483 764729
This press release was distributed by ResponseSource Press Release Wire on behalf of The Mentholatum Company in the following categories: Men's Interest, Health, Women's Interest & Beauty, Sport, for more information visit https://pressreleasewire.responsesource.com/about.