UK Co-op Wins the Internet Name Game
ICANN (the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers) approved Poptel's application to create '.coop' as one of only 7 new global Internet Domain names. Poptel, the UK's leading Co-operative Internet Service and Web Solutions Provider, beat competition from 44 companies including IBM and Nokia in the race to create the new domains. In fact Poptel was the only UK company to win approval in the first real change to the domain name system since the '80s.
Poptel's Chair and founder Shaun Fensom said ''It's an important victory for the 720 million people throughout the world who are members of co-operatives.''
''The .coop domain will become the trusted alternative to the dot com. Co-operatives worldwide already have a real economic relationship with their members, based on loyalty and mutual trust - something the dot coms can only dream of.''
''Our vision sees the success of the .coop domain signifying a new era for co-op development, extending the concepts of democracy, fair trade, and self help. It will help stimulate the creation of a new wave of co-operatives and provide a rallying point for promoting co-operation on the net.''
The .coop domain will be restricted, that is, only available to organisations who are bona fide co-ops. The US National Co-operative Business Association (NCBA) and The International Co-operative Alliance (ICA), who were the sponsoring organisations for Poptel's bid for .coop, will oversee the verification of co-operative status, thus ensuring the domain remains a trusted part of the net. Poptel, NCBA and the ICA are committed to creating a Digital Divide Fund from a portion of the profits from operating the .coop domain. The fund will help co-operatives and their members in the developing world make better use of the Internet, and to engage in the growing Internet economy.
For further information or to arrange interviews contact:
Shaun Fensom - Chair and Founder of Poptel - 07770 602 850
Or email email@example.com
NOTES TO EDITORS
* Full details of the .coop application can be found at:http://www.icann.org/tlds/co-op1/
* Poptel is Britain's fastest Growing Co-op on the basis of a trebling of the headcount to 60 people in the past nine months with turnover following rapidly behind. Poptel deals primarily with not for profit organisations working for a social purpose.
* It is intended that .co-op will be created alongside .coop and that both will be interoperable, however this is subject to further approval from ICANN.
* The word 'Co-op' is understood across the world in may different languages.
* ICA statistics indicate that there are 750,000 co-operatives globally with 720 million members. It is a substantial
community of interest with shared values and principles.
* Frederick Reichheld's recent article in The Harvard Business Review (July - Aug 2000) shows that in both B2C and B2B
e-commerce arenas success depends on confidence and trust to generate e-loyalty. Co-operatives start with a loyalty advantage. That needs to be translated to e-loyalty, good business, and a new generation of committed members and supporters, using the Internet as a tool for participation. .coop will be the identifier. The challenge will be to make .coop the trusted alternative to .com.
* The .coop TLD proposal received more than 500 comments in support from letters and a petition. Together the comments and letters represented 750,000 co-ops worldwide and their 725 million members. Supporters included, but are not limited to, the International Cooperative Alliance, the Organisation of Brazilian Cooperatives, the Japanese Consumers' Co-operative Union and the Consumer Federation of America. Support for .coop was registered by individuals and organisations from many countries including Korea, Great Britain, the Philippines, Italy, Israel, Canada, Armenia, Malaysia and others. The supporters represented a vast cross-section of industry sectors, leading consumer groups, cooperative businesses, individuals and interested organisations.
* PR for NCBA is being handled by Jeannine Kenney and Sandy Nelson:
National Cooperative Business Association
1401 New York Ave.,
Washington, D.C. 20005-2160
+1 202 383-5456
and Sandy Nelson +1 202 486 7575
This press release was distributed by ResponseSource Press Release Wire on behalf of Poptel in the following categories: Consumer Technology, Personal Finance, Business & Finance, Computing & Telecoms, for more information visit https://pressreleasewire.responsesource.com/about.