DALLAS - November 22, 2000 - A United States poll conducted for Texas Instruments (TI) Incorporated (NYSE: TXN) predicts that 40 million people will purchase personal technology items as presents this holiday season. From cellular phones to digital still cameras, Internet audio players and personal digital assistants (PDAs), consumers said they will spend approximately $250 each, resulting in $10 billion this year on electronic devices. Decreasing prices and the need to communicate were cited as the top reasons for choosing these items.
"The combination of convenience and increased functionality has transformed these gadgets from "luxury" or "techie" items to must-haves for today's busy consumer," said Doug Rasor, vice president of strategic marketing for Texas Instruments. "TI DSP and analog chips provide the engines that enable the convenient size, powerful features and increased usability that is driving the popularity of many of today's hottest personal technology items."
Application of TI technology is making tech gadgets more consumer-friendly and feature packed. TI DSP chips allow Internet audio players to run up to 30 hours on just two AA batteries. Cell phones with TI chips filter out background noise, making conversations clear. For children, TI chips are enabling toys that speak and react in life-like ways. By providing the chips necessary to make these high-tech products function, TI brings consumers wireless communications, Internet appliances and a whole new generation of interactive toys. (See end notes.)
Texas Instruments DSP and analog chips power a wide variety of the hottest electronic gadgets, mobile devices and toys available in the USA this holiday season, such as:
* Nokia 7100 Series - this cellular phone brings the Internet to the palm of your hand with a microbrowser built in to support web browsing, interactive calendar and contact management.
* RCA/Thomson Lyra II - the latest solid state Internet audio player capable of playing multiple formats of digital music files skip free.
* Hewlett-Packard PhotoSmart 315 - this digital still camera allows users to snap pictures and within minutes see those images on an LCD screen, upload them to their PC and send them directly to family members over the Internet.
* ActionTec Modem this "plug-and-play" modem offers consumers broadband access to high-speed data transfer for rich, streaming content and fast Internet downloads
* Psion Revo - this clam-shell design PDA allows users to store names, addresses and appointments as well as wireless access to email and offers TI's advanced battery management technology which displays percentage of battery life remaining.
* Bauer Go-Golf Tool - this electronic tool attaches to the shaft of a golf club to measure tempo (backswing time), club speed, club face angle, club path angle, twist rate, sweet spot, and acceleration and provides audio and visual feedback to help golfers improve their game.
* Rail King Electronic Train - an electric model train with variable speed and realistic train sounds - train "chug," steam release, braking, bells - enabled by TI DSP chips.
* "Furby" - the hottest toy for the past two years, the Furby stuffed toy speaks and reacts to voice commands and spoken language.
* Fisher-Price Intelli-Table - this interactive table teaches children basic concepts such as ABCs, 123s, music, and thinking skills, with content reinforced by sound and visual effects on the light-up dome.
"The past year has shown the tremendous growth of electronic devices such as Internet audio players, digital cameras and PDAs, and consumer demand continues to drive innovative new features." said Chris Schairbaum, new business manager, emerging markets for Texas Instruments. "TI DSP and analog chips are the key technologies that not only power this year's hot gadgets, but are also fueling the development of next generation products."
About Texas Instruments:
Texas Instruments Incorporated is the world leader in digital signal processing and analog technologies, the semiconductor engines of the Internet age. The company's businesses also include sensors and controls, and educational and productivity solutions. TI is headquartered in Dallas, Texas and has manufacturing or sales operations in more than 25 countries.
Texas Instruments is traded on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TXN. More information is located on the World Wide Web at http://www.ti.com
Analog: As the interface between digital and real-world signals, analog chips play an integral role in wireless communications, Internet telephony and personal audio devices. Analog chips convert real-world signals such as voice, sound, pressure, temperature and electricity into digital signals so they can then be processed, transmitted, and communicated faster, easier and clearer.
DSP: Digital signal processors (DSPs) are programmable chips capable of processing large volumes of data at real-time speed. Together with analog chips, DSPs process real-world signals in the form of digital data. DSP chips are the engines behind such devices as personal handhelds, wireless handsets, Internet audio players and digital still cameras.
SAFE HARBOR STATEMENT:
Statements contained in this press release regarding predicted purchases of personal technology items and other statements of management's beliefs, goals and expectations may be considered "forward-looking statements" as that term is defined in the Private Securities Litigation Act, and are subject to risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ materially from those expressed or implied by these statements. Such statements regarding predicted purchases of personal technology items are based on a nationwide poll conducted for TI. The following factors and the factors discussed in TI's most recent Form 10-K could cause actual results to differ materially from the statements contained in this press release: changes in customer intentions or preferences and other factors affecting market growth or sales. We disclaim any intention or obligation to update any forward-looking statements as a result of developments occurring after the date of this press release.
This press release was distributed by ResponseSource Press Release Wire on behalf of Malcolm Clark Consultancy, The in the following categories: Consumer Technology, Personal Finance, Business & Finance, Computing & Telecoms, for more information visit https://pressreleasewire.responsesource.com/about.