Northgate Information Solutions, along with LogicaCMG, today announce their provision of a managed service to Dwr Cymru Welsh Water, as part of a project to update the company’s Geographical Information System (GIS) in line with more accurate Ordnance Survey data.
As part of a £330,000 contract signed with Welsh Water IT partner, LogicaCMG, Northgate’s StruMap Positional Accuracy Improvement (PAI) Tools are being used to accurately re-align Welsh Water’s digital networks of their water mains and sewers, in line with enhanced topographical data provided by the Ordnance Survey.
The StruMap PAI Tools first assess which assets within Welsh Water’s GIS need to be repositioned. Automated repositioning then takes place, and a report is generated detailing the changes that have been made. These changes are then reviewed before being accepted to ensure quality control throughout the process. Quality assurance is then applied at the end of this process to ensure that the networks are correctly re-aligned.
Northgate, LogicaCMG and Evans Utility Services are providing a full managed service, which involves extracting existing information from Welsh Water’s GIS, using the StruMap PAI Tools to reposition the data off-site, applying full Quality Assurance and supplying Welsh Water with the corrected data.
The improvements will also feed in to Welsh Water’s sewerage asset management solution, which was developed by Northgate to automatically route customer requests and complaints to the relevant contractors. The system uses wireless technology to provide the contractor with details of the incident, contact details and maps to illustrate the location.
Kelvin Davies, ICT Change Manager at Welsh Water said today:
“We are committed to providing accurate data to all our staff in order to deliver a better service to our customers. With their proven experience in delivering large-scale updates of this nature, we are delighted to be working with Northgate, LogicaCMG and Evans Utility Services on this improvement project.”
Stuart Brand, Client Manager for Welsh Water & Partners at LogicaCMG said:
“Accurate asset data is key to the success of water companies. LogicaCMG is pleased to be working with the expert Northgate team to deliver these critical realignments to Welsh Water’s data.”
Russell Osborne, Managing Director of Land & Property at Northgate Public Services, added:
“In order to meet and exceed customer expectations it is essential that staff are enabled to take action based on up to date geographical information. We are delighted to be extending our relationship with Welsh Water and to be helping them to deliver further customer service improvements."
For further information:
Kathy Sutton 020 7849 3403 / 07966 890401 / firstname.lastname@example.org
Naomi Stevenson 020 7849 3508 / 07966 890403 / email@example.com
Notes to Editors
1. Northgate Information Solutions is a leading provider of innovative technology solutions to the public services and utilities markets. Northgate’s task is to enhance public value through the intelligent use of people and technology, and to share in the economic and social benefits that this brings. In the UK, Northgate works with four out of five local authorities and every police force. Its systems are used in the management of over 1.5 million local authority and housing association properties; in the administration of more than £17 billion of revenues and benefits; and in electoral administration systems covering over 18 million people. Founded in 1969, the company has over 3,300 employees.
2. The Ordnance Survey’s Positional Accuracy Improvement (PAI) programme was undertaken to ensure that location information held in digital form accurately reflected actual location. It requires organisations wishing to use the new mapping data to re-position the information already held within their GIS.
3. Northgate’s StruMap GIS is the market-leading product in the water industry, and is embedded in Northgate products in other market sectors. StruMap enables organisations to better manage their assets, and understand how they all work together so that they can see the effect of each asset on the network as a whole. StruMap PAI Tools can be used with any GIS.
4. The managed service is being provided by Northgate Information Solutions in partnership with BLOM Aerofilms, who are using the StruMap PAI Tools to manage the update process remotely.
5. Welsh Water is the sixth largest of the ten regulated water and sewerage companies in England and Wales. Responsible for providing over three million people with a continuous, high quality supply of drinking water and for taking away, treating and properly disposing of the wastewater that is produced, Welsh Water is fully committed to delivering the best quality service at least possible cost.