The Leysdown Tragedy Centenary, 4 August 1912 - 4 August 2012
The summer of 1912 had not been a good one when, on Saturday 3 August 1912, the 2nd Walworth Scout Troop of 5 adults and 24 young Scouts sailed from Waterloo Bridge down to Leysdown on the Isle of Sheppey on their cutter. Some would never return alive.
In 2012, The Friends of Nunhead Cemetery, St Johns Walworth, Southwark Council and surviving relatives, plan to commemorate this tragedy in its centenary year.
The new Scouting movement, founded in 1907 promoted fresh air and outdoor activities. Just the thing for lads from the overcrowded streets of Walworth on their second summer camp in Kent. They would have been excited as they arrived at Erith at 9pm but perhaps less so at sleeping overnight on board. At 4am they set off...