Woburn Safari Park Keepers show their love with Valentines-themed treats
Romance was on the menu for 19-year old Rothschild’s giraffe Casper and potential love interests Kimmy and Freya, as they shared a special moment
Valentine’s Day celebrations have arrived at Woburn Safari Park, as keepers and animals celebrate love around the Park!
Romance was on the menu for 19-year old Rothschild’s giraffe Casper and potential love interests Kimmy and Freya, as they shared a special moment over some delicious roses, butternut squash and sweet potato heart-shaped treats.
Jenny Fisher, Senior Keeper, says: “Casper has been incredibly successful in the past when it comes to the ladies, and we’re hoping that it’s something that we might be able to repeat again this year with Kimmy and Freya! It’s a case of wait and see for the next few months, but we’re hopeful and trying everything we can to help the breeding programme along.”
Whilst the giraffes enjoyed their tasty treats, Mirijam, Mkuzi and Bonnie - the female Southern white rhinos – dove straight in to the besties boxes that keepers had lovingly wrapped for them. Their “galentine’s” set up was offered as part of the physical enrichment activities, designed to keep their minds and bodies active.
Mirijam and Mkuzi have been fan favourites at Woburn for over a decade, but the trio have lived together happily in the reserves at the Park since Bonnie moved in during May 2021.
Jenny said: “Like any girl gang our rhinos are really close, but that doesn’t mean that there isn’t the occasional squabble – especially when youngster Bonnie is being particularly boisterous! But they are the best of friends and any bickering is all forgotten very quickly.
Creating pieces of enrichment for the rhinos is always a bit of a challenge as they’re so large and everything has to be on a much bigger scale, so it’s great to see them showing their love for each other with this galentine’s build - and working together on it’s total destruction!”
Keepers also prepared some primate playdates in the Land of Lemurs and African Jungle so the lemur troop and Barbary macaques could join in the fun, with a buffet feast including different fruits and vegetables like beetroot, squash and leafy greens, all up for grabs in individual treat bags and boxes.
Visitors wanting to see their favourite safari animals for themselves are in luck – Woburn Safari Park is now open daily, with tickets currently on sale until the end of April. For tickets, opening times and special offers see the website, www.woburnsafari.co.uk
Notes to Editors:
About Woburn Safari Park - www.woburnsafari.co.uk
1. Opened in 1970 by the 13th Duke of Bedford, Woburn Safari Park is one of the UK’s oldest wild animal parks and has hundreds of species of endangered, exotic and native animals roaming in more than 300 acres of beautiful parkland.
2. The Park has a history of species conservation, dating back more than 100 years and is a member of, and contributor to, the British and Irish Association of Zoos and Aquariums (BIAZA) and the European Association of Zoos and Aquaria (EAZA).
3. Woburn Safari Park is a European Association of Zoos and Aquaria (EAZA) accredited zoo, and participates in the captive management of endangered breeding animals through the EAZA Ex-Situ Programme (EEP). These help to ensure a viable and sustainable captive population of key species is maintained long term. Each programme plays a key role in the conservation of notable and endangered species. The co-ordinator and committee also make recommendations on animal moves between zoos.
4. Park attractions include a Road Safari home to species such as Southern White Rhinos, a large herd of Rothschild’s giraffes, monkeys, Amur tigers, African lions, North American black bears and a herd of five Asian elephants. At the Foot Safari guests can get out of their vehicles and get up close with Humboldt penguins, red pandas, slender-tailed meerkats, lemurs and more with a variety of walk-through enclosures and a popular programme of talks and demonstrations.
5. The park is open daily from the 9th February. For opening times, tickets and directions visit www.woburnsafari.co.uk
Media Contact: Aneela Rose at Rose Media Group
Tel: 01444 firstname.lastname@example.org
This press release was distributed by ResponseSource Press Release Wire on behalf of Rose Media Group in the following categories: Leisure & Hobbies, Environment & Nature, Farming & Animals, for more information visit https://pressreleasewire.responsesource.com/about.