• EPO study reveals that technologies of the fourth industrial revolution (4IR) accounted for more than 10% of all patenting activity worldwide in 2018
• Global growth of 4IR patents nearly five times faster than average
• US is world leader; strong growth from China and South Korea; Europe losing ground
• Germany, UK and France are top three European countries
• UK 4IR inventions present in all sectors, with specialisation in AI and data security
• London among 20 most innovative regional clusters worldwide, but top 10 all located in Asia or US
Munich, 10 December 2020 – A study published today by the European Patent Office (EPO) shows that innovation in fourth industrial revolution (4IR) technologies has accelerated significantly worldwide. Between 2010 and 2018, global patent filings for these technologies, which concern smart connected objects and span the Internet of Things, big data, 5G, and artificial intelligence (AI), grew...