If you are an avid diver, you might spend your time daydreaming about a dive trip to Polynesia, the Caribbean or Australia – but it pays to remember that there are some brilliant places to dive right here in Europe. Whether you crave cold water, dry suit excitement or lush tropical coral, there is something for everyone in diverse diving locations which don’t require a long haul flight.
We’ve found the top five places for you to strap on your tank and step into the sea - here is a list that will help you plan your next diving holiday.
1. Malta – The most celebrated European diving location is undoubtedly the islands of Malta. Offering high quality dive shops, world class certification schools and a nice mix of sea life, wrecks (in particular the HMS Maori outside Valletta harbour) and oddities (the Madonna statue at Marfa Point is eerily breathtaking), Malta has something for everyone. Expect to see octopi, rays, moray eels and many other species.
2. Kyrenia, Cyprus – Home to clear waters and warm weather, Cyprus is a gorgeous place to holiday for dive fanatics and novices alike. You’ll find Kyrenia on the Northern, Turkish part of the island, a lush diving spot prized for its colourful soft corals, abundant sponges and thriving marine life, including plenty of turtles.
3. Korcula, Croatia – Croatia is increasingly popular as an international holiday destination, with many people drawn to its UNESCO listed towns and unspoilt beaches. If you plan to dive in Croatia head to the island of Korcula, home to a well reviewed dive school. You’ll love the corals and plentiful fish (think wrasses, sea urchins and scorpion fish), along with a 2000 year old shipwreck. Croatia is becoming more touristy each year, so head there as soon as you can in order to enjoy the reefs in peace.
4. Scapa Flow, Orkney Islands – If you fancy a spot of cold water diving and you love shipwrecks the Scottish Orkney Islands are second to none. Here you’ll find 120 German ships sunk in 1919, seven large warships and four destroyers – unbelievable. You will need a dry suit, and visibility is best in December and January. Scapa Scuba offers excursions and dry suit training - get in touch with them and get into the North Sea!
5. Madeira – While Madeira may be an autonomous region of Portugal, its geographic location closer to Africa makes this a brilliant place for tropical diving. Often referred to as a “floating garden,” this verdant jewel rises from the Atlantic like a rocky crag, and is an ideal place to soak up the sun and enjoy delicious food all afternoon and spend all morning diving. No diver should miss the 300 metre long Monastery Reef, lying just offshore of Canico. This stunning expanse is filled with corals, rays, moray eels and even frolicking dolphins.
While you may be inclined to travel far from home to enjoy a diving holiday, never forget that some of the world’s best underwater vistas are a lot closer to home than you might imagine. Diving in Europe is worth your time!
Did you know that many travel insurance policies do not cover adventure sports, including scuba diving? In order to ensure that you are purchasing a comprehensive policy that covers all of the activities you plan to engage in, head to PayingTooMuch.com. Our leading independent travel insurance comparison site allows you to select the best travel insurance for your diving holiday and relax in the knowledge that you are fully covered no matter what happens.
NOTES TO EDITORS:
About PayingTooMuch.com: PayingTooMuch.com is a leading independent price comparison website providing customers with the widest range of financial products and unrivalled customer support. The company mission is to be the best, most up-to-date and unbiased price comparison website in the UK, helping people keep their personal finance bills down. To find out more visit: PayingTooMuch.com.
Press contact: Michael Ward
Call: 01243 784000
This press release was distributed by ResponseSource Press Release Wire on behalf of Payingtoomuch.com in the following categories: Men's Interest, Entertainment & Arts, Health, Leisure & Hobbies, Environment & Nature, Sport, Travel, Farming & Animals, for more information visit https://pressreleasewire.responsesource.com/about.