• Nearly two thirds of UK workface want to change their career path.
• Over half of UK workforce would embark on an Apprenticeship to make this change.
• Two thirds of UK workforce wrongly believe they are too old and the age barrier is between 16-24.
Global online job search engine specialists, https://www.Jobrapido.com, calls for a greater education drive and focus on Apprenticeships for all ages to ensure as many of the UK workforce can acquire new skills and fulfil career ambitions.
Nearly two thirds of the UK workforce (62%) have aspirations to change their career path, according to the latest research by the global job search engine Jobrapido. More than half of UK employees (52%) also admitted they would readily embark on an Apprenticeship if it could support career change or move to a different industry sector.
Yet nearly two thirds of those that wouldn’t embark on an Apprenticeship believe they are too old and the age limit is between 16-24. A quarter of respondents felt that Apprenticeships would be a step down given their career experience.
Jobrapido’s research was conducted amongst 1444 employees who work across different industry sectors including sales, marketing, engineering, transportation, construction and technology. The research was conducted in July 2019.
Other highlights of the research include:
- Three in ten cite the biggest obstacle to making a change is family or financial commitments, with a further 17% stating that lack of confidence and would need to change their mind-set. 19% believe their lack of qualifications prohibit the change whilst another 19% that admit they have no understanding of how to go about switching careers. Finally, 14% put off by the thought of time it takes to re-train.
When respondents were asked what could support them to make their change
- More than a quarter (26%) stated the ‘belief they can do it and a change of mindset’. Nearly a fifth (17%) stated investment in training and or educational qualifications or new skills, 12% would like support in the form of outside funding or a grant, 11% believe the Government and or industry could support with further initiatives.
- More than one in ten of these respondents (13%) wanting to make the change admitted they would like to set up their own business, with around half (49%) stating they would like to move to a different industry and organisation.
Rob Brouwer, CEO of Jobrapido comments: “We live in an era where a job is no longer a job for life and in fact many could have at least two or even three different careers in their working life. It is not surprising that so many who took part in the research harbour ambitions to change their career path.
“Yet despite the majority of UK workforce open to the possibility of Apprenticeship, the vast majority have already ruled this out as they believe there is an age barrier in order to access. The reality is that Apprenticeships are open above the age of 16 and there is no age barrier.
“There has been a big drive in recent years to encourage more Apprenticeships in the UK and already great support from the Government. Yet perception lags reality about the criteria and age of Apprenticeships. This in turn is preventing more of the UK workface from capitalising on the opportunities to re-train, acquire new skills and gain confidence in the workplace. All of which lay the right foundation to build an entirely new career.
“What is needed is an education drive from UK industry, the Government, educational establishments and career advisers as to how anyone over the age of 16 can access and embark on an Apprenticeship.”
- ENDS -
Sam Pepper / Charlotte Priest / Michelle Redmond on 07958 329 175
Jobrapido is the world’s leading job search engine. As industry frontrunners Jobrapido is shaping a new standard in online job searching; to revolutionize the way people get jobs. Jobrapido analyses and aggregates job listings from all over the web, so that candidates can find all relevant jobs in one place. Using pioneering technology and innovative products, Jobrapido connects the dots between great employers and stellar candidates. Established in 2006, Jobrapido lists over 20 million jobs every month, records 55 million visits per month and has more than 85 million registered users. In the UK, Jobrapido registers 4 million visits per month, has around 7 million registered users and has 2 million available jobs in its search engine. From its headquarters in Milan, Jobrapido conducts business in 58 countries, and helps job seekers to apply for a role in line with their expectations, and those who offer jobs find the right candidate for the role. From April 2014, Jobrapido is part of the Symphony Technology Group (STG).
www.corporate.jobrapido.com / www.jobrapido.com
This press release was distributed by ResponseSource Press Release Wire on behalf of Minx PR in the following categories: Business & Finance, Education & Human Resources, Construction & Property, for more information visit https://pressreleasewire.responsesource.com/about.